Sat, Mar 06|
Trident Technical College - Main Campus
Live Integrative Stretching Weekend Workshop - Foundations (13 CEs)
Continuing education workshop designed for health and movement professionals such as personal trainers, body workers, massage therapists, and yoga instructors who wish to learn more about assisted stretching and integrating it into their current practices. NCBTMB Approved (13 CEs).
Time & Location
Mar 06, 2021, 9:00 AM – Mar 07, 2021, 3:30 PM
Trident Technical College - Main Campus , 7000 Rivers Avenue, North Charleston, 29406 (Bldg. 910)
About the Event
Assisted stretching is often an addendum to most basic training programs for fitness coaches and bodyworkers. Mobility, flexibility, and range of motion are gradually becoming more and more recognized as measures of optimal health and performance. This course is geared towards bodyworkers, personal trainers, movement therapists, and anyone else who wants to improve the ability of their clients to move better through designing sessions focused on improving both passive and active range of motion.
Participants will first review basic principles of stretching and assisting clients with movement. They will then have ample opportunity to practice hands-on skills for assessing limitations and how best to approach a session for a desired outcome. The class will go over proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation and active isolated stretching techniques which they will learn to utilize as they go over pre-designed stretching sessions for the pelvic and shoulder girdles. With these skills it is the hopes that participants will walk away with a working knowledge of how to apply these techniques in the forms of 5-15 minute stretching sessions they could implement in their practices.
GOAL: To provide massage therapists, fitness professionals, movement therapists, and bodyworkers with an extra set of techniques and skills geared towards improving functional movements of their clients through assisted stretching.
OBJECTIVES: After completing this workshop participants will be able to:
- Explain different ways in which the neuromuscular system responds to pressure and stretch.
- Explain how flexibility and range of motion affects functional movements.
- Be better able to make safe and effective contact with clients through hands-on manipulation.
- Be able to differentiate between hard and soft-end feels of joints.
- Be able to set different baselines and systems of measurement in order to track progress for functionality.
- Understand the theories explaining how proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation and active isolated stretching techniques work.
- Learn how to combine notions of PNF patterns and myofascial meridians in stretching to better integrate changes to functional movements.
- Be able to utilize stretching techniques that address various parts of body in terms of improving specific functions.
- Be able to strategize and perform sessions based on an individual’s needs for work ranging from 5-30 minutes
CE CREDIT: Equivalent to 13 Contact Hours (6.5 Hours per Day)
Course Requirements: Entry level course for health professionals including, but not limited to, massage therapists, personal trainers, physical therapists, and fitness instructors, no requirements to attend.
Noel L. Poff is a Certified Advanced Rolfer, Certified Rolf Movement Pracitioner, Certified Yoga Therapist, Licensed Massage Therapist, Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist, Certified Personal Trainer, and Registered Yoga Teacher. He has been observing and helping people improve their health and wellness since 2004. He started his career as a certified personal trainer specializing in athletic conditioning, specifically in martial arts training and conditioning. In 2007 he completed his massage therapy certification before graduating from the University of South Carolina in 2009. After earning his Bachelors of Arts in Philosophy he worked a full time schedule in both personal training and massage therapy until 2013 where he became a certified yoga instructor and began teaching classes based on hatha yoga in addition to his work as a CPT and LMT. In 2015 Noel relocated in order to become a Certified Rolfer™. He moved on to earning his advanced certification in 2018 and becomming a certified yoga therapist in 2020. He continues practicing bodywork and his health education in Charleston, SC. Find out more about Noel and his services at www.shiftrolfing.com.